Whopper \Whop"per\, n. [Cf. Whapper.]
One who, or that which, whops. [1913 Webster]
something very large, especially a big lie. Same as Whapper, but the more common spelling. [1913 Webster]
1 a gross untruth; a blatant lie [syn: walloper]
2 something especially big or impressive of its kind [syn: whacker]
Product descriptionThe Original Whopper sandwich is a hamburger, consisting of a grilled quarter-pound (113.4 g) beef patty, sesame seed bun, mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, pickles, ketchup, and raw, sliced onion. Optional ingredients such as American cheese, bacon, mustard or jalapeño peppers may be added upon request. Regional and international condiments include BBQ sauce, salsa and guacamole. BK will also add any condiment it sells, including tartar sauce, honey mustard, steak sauce and hot sauce.
Different promotional varieties have appeared throughout the years for a limited time.
The standard variants of the Whopper sandwich are:
- The Original Whopper - one ¼ lb (113.4 gram) hamburger patty;
- The Bacon and Cheese Whopper - one ¼ lb (113.4 gram) hamburger patty, 4 pieces of bacon and 2 slices of American cheese;
- The Double Whopper - two ¼ lb (113.4 gram) hamburger patties;
- The Triple Whopper - three ¼ lb (113.4 gram) hamburger patties;In Europe the standard build for the Triple Whopper is without cheese, while in the Americas the Triple Whopper comes with cheese standard.
- The Whopper Junior - one 2.2 oz (62.4 gram) hamburger patty
- The Veggie Whopper - a Whopper without the meat patty; not to be confused with the BK Veggie
- The Double Whopper Junior - two 2.2 oz hamburger patties
- The Angry Whopper - Pepperjack cheese, jalapeños and "Angry Onion Rings" are addedSold in Europe and in the US.
- The Bacon Swiss Whopper - Swiss Cheese and bacon are addedSold in the US and Canada
- The California Fresh Whopper - sour cream-onion dressing and cucumbers instead of pickles and mayo. Sold in Sweden
- The Dark Whopper - pepperjack cheese, Black-Pepper Ketchup and Grill SauceSold in the UK and Ireland.
- The Indy Whopper - pepperjack cheese, blackened cajun mayo and bacon.sold in the US.
For several years in the 1980s, the weight of the Whopper was increased to 1/3 lb. The bun was also replaced by a Kaiser roll. The Whopper reverted to the original formulation a few years later. The "Third Pound Whopper" made a return in the early 2000s, but has since been discontinued again.
The packaging has undergone many changes since its inception. Originally the sandwich was sold in a clamshell style box made of styrofoam, which was changed to a paperboard box in the early 1980s. The box was fully eliminated in the late 1980s or early 1990s and was replaced with wax paper. For a short time after BK began moving to a fresh made model (certain sandwiches are made only after being ordered instead of being pre-made ahead of time), BK used an aluminum foil wrapping similar to Wendy's sandwich packaging.
AdvertisingOne of the original slogans of the Whopper advertised by Burger King was There are 1024 ways to have a Whopper; the claim is based on the math formula of whether the sandwich has the ingredient or not, a binary number of 0 or 1, raised to the power of number of possible ingredients at the time, ten, thus 210 =1,024. This claim was later expanded to There are 221,184 possible ways for a customer to order a Whopper sandwich. Other slogans include It takes two hands to handle the Whopper and Burger King: Home of the Whopper.
A 2007 advertising campaign celebrating the golden anniversary of the Whopper shows real customers in Las Vegas reacting to the false news the Whopper has been discontinued. While it was not permanently discontinued, the ad claims it was discontinued for one day. Later versions of the ads had customers receiving a Big Mac or Wendy's Single and their reactions to the sandwich. In in-store ads, such as posters and tray-liners, attack the size and quality of the Big Mac.
The 2008 movie releases of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull will see a promotional tie-in with the new Indy Whopper and the The Incredible Hulk with the Angry Whopper. the McLean Deluxe and the Big N' Tasty. None of these products have been as successful as the Whopper.
Nutritional comparisonThe Whopper (670 kcal) has more calories than McDonald's Big Mac (540 kcal). However, the Big Mac is smaller than the Whopper - 214g vs. 290g. Per 100g The Whopper actually contains less calories than the Big Mac. The Whopper contains 231 kcal per 100g and the Big Mac contains 252 kcal per 100g.
Similar sandwiches by other fast food restaurant vendors:
whopper in Czech: Whopper
whopper in Danish: Whopper
whopper in German: Whopper
whopper in Spanish: Whopper
whopper in French: Whopper
whopper in Italian: Whopper
whopper in Dutch: Whopper
whopper in Swedish: Whopper
whopper in Chinese: 華堡